Date Posted: 26 February 2013
Call for Applications: Director/Curator
Access Gallery is an artist run centre dedicated to emergent art practices. We provide a platform for emerging artists, curators, and other cultural practitioners through exhibitions, residencies, and public programs. Access strives to spark critical conversations about contemporary art by nurturing experimentation within the gallery space and beyond.
Access has been contributing to the cultural landscape of Vancouver and Canada since 1991 and is celebrating its 22nd anniversary this year. Over the past few years, Access has made a number of stabilizing changes to the organization. In recent months Access has completed a strategic planning processes and the Director/Curator position will play a key role in realizing these plans. Additionally, the Director/Curator will be responsible for conceiving and executing coherent curatorial programming, producing publications, facilitating public programs and administering the operation of the gallery in consultation with the Board of Directors. We are seeking an applicant with passion for contemporary visual arts. The successful applicant will have curatorial experience and vision, working knowledge of non-profit administration, demonstrated grant writing skills, and a proven history in financial management, team management, and fundraising.
This part-time position is for a minimum term of 2 years, with possibility of extension, and is ideal for a curator/artist who also maintains an independent practice.
The Director/Curator will:
• Manage the program of exhibitions, which includes curating and working with guest curators and with the programming committee on the open call submissions
• Administer the fiscal matters of the organization, including but not limited to budget-forecasting and maintenance
• Research, write and apply for funding opportunities
• Maintain good standing with funders
• Develop and produce public programming
• Develop and maintain relationships with other arts organizations, businesses, community groups and the media
• Work closely with the Board of Directors, including its committees: Executive, Governance, Fundraising, Facilities
• Recruit, train and manage volunteers and staff
• Oversee day-to-day operations of the gallery
• Familiarity with artist run culture and knowledge of diverse contemporary art practices
• Demonstrated curatorial and public programming experience
• Experience preparing and managing organizational budgets
• Proven grant writing experience
• Experience working in the non-profit arts sector and/or with a Boards of Directors
• Familiarity with volunteer coordination and staff management
• Excellent administrative, organizational and time management skills
• Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suites, social media, database management software
The Director/Curator receives an annual salary of $22,720.26 based on a 20-hour work week with six weeks paid vacation. Health benefits are negotiable.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and CV to the Hiring Committee at email@example.com
Application Deadline: 18 March 2013, 5pm