29 October 2019 to 31 March 2020 (7 hours/day, 5 days/week)
The Program Assistant will work closely with the Director/Curator to develop and executive a curatorial project with accompanying publication. In addition to this project, they will work closely with the Project Coordinator, the Board of Directors, visiting curators, and participating artists to coordinate the gallery’s exhibitions. This is an opportunity not only to learn about the inner workings of an artist-run centre, but to do so through the development of an autonomous project with support of an established organization.
As this position is funded through Young Canada Works, it is mandatory that the applicant qualifies for the program:
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
- are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE has:
- effective communication and writing skills;
- excellent organizational skills;
- a resourceful work ethic;
- experience working or volunteering in a gallery context and/or with community initiatives;
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- career aspirations within the cultural milieu;
- some experience working within a budget;
- technical expertise related to computer design work and image management;
- flexible schedule: is adaptable, and able to work evenings or weekends.
Access Gallery is a certified Living Wage Employer and is committed to employment equity for all prospective employees regardless of national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability.
Please email a cover letter and CV as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: REF: YCW Program 2019. Applications not received in this process (i.e. applications sent directly through the YCW website) will not be reviewed.
For more information, and to apply please contact:
Katie Belcher, Director/Curator